Thursday, February 2, 2012

Fudgy Oatmeal Bars

These are a favorite treat, but rarely made because they are so rich. My mom used to make these when we had Girl Scout get togethers at our house. They are so delicious, and I guess for one bar, aren't too bad for you. When I have nutrition facts available for a recipe, I will add them under the recipe and pictures. As I'm sure you've noticed, I don't always have pictures to go along with my recipes. I'm trying to remedy that. It's just taking a little longer that I hoped. Bear with me!

Ingredients:
Topping
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups quick cooking oatmeal
Filling
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions:
1. Set aside 2 Tablespoon of the butter. In a large mixing bowl beat the remaining butter (6 Tablespoons) with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar and baking soda. Beat until combined, scrape sides if needed. Beat in eggs and 2 teaspoons of vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can. Stir in any remaining flour. Stir in the oatmeal.
2. For filling, in a medium saucepan combine the 2 Tablespoons butter, chocolate chips, and sweetened condensed milk. Cook over low heat until chocolate melts, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, stir in the 2 Tablespoons of vanilla.
3. Press two thirds of the topping mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 15x10 inch baking pan. (A 9x11 works fine too). Spread filling evenly over the oats. Dot remaining topping mixture onto filling.
4. Bake in a 350F oven about 25 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Filling will still look moist. Cool, cut into bars.

*Nutrition Facts per bar:
Cal: 146
Total Fat: 6g
Sodium: 68mg
Carbs: 21g
Fiber: 1g
Protein: 2g
3% vitamin A, 3% calcium, 4% iron

No comments:

Post a Comment