Friday, March 2, 2012

Orange Chicken


I made this amazing orange chicken last night, and I just have to share. Clint and Bobby both loved it, and I will definitely be making this again. I had made a crock pot orange chicken a couple weeks ago, and it was a bit of a disappointment. I was wary to try another recipe, but this one just looked so good. I got the original recipe from pinterest, but made a few changes because I either didn't have the ingredient, or just didn't bother getting them at the store. I also made some white rice and some savory veggies to go along. I will make this again soon and add some pictures. I didn't know if I would post it or not, so I didn't take pictures while I cooked.
I recently got a double fryer (from Clint for Valentine's Day, lol). He wanted to make dinners a little easier for when I made chicken strips or boneless wings. It can also be used as a steamer, so he got it. It has been amazing. I recommend getting one just to save time. It takes up some space, but honestly, it is worth it because I'm not standing over a pan full of hot oil for 30-45 minutes cooking all the chicken. Now, it's more like 15 minutes total!
Ingredients
Chicken
2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
1 cup bread crumbs (I used the store brand, and they were perfectly fine)
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
oil (for frying)
Orange Sauce
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup orange juice
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 1/2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon orange zest
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water
Directions
1. Combine corn starch, salt and pepper in a bowl. Prepare another bowl with eggs, and one more with bread crumbs.
2. Dip the chicken pieces in egg mixture, corn starch, back in eggs, and then bread crumbs. Set aside.
3. Heat pan with oil to 375F, or your deep fryer to 375F. (I recommend for the deep fryer to drop the baskets first, then one at a time put the chicken pieces in so they won't stick.) Fry chicken in batches until completely cooked.
4. In a large saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups water, orange juice, vinegar, and soy sauce. Mix well over medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar, orange zest, and garlic. Bring to a boil.
5. Combine 3 Tablespoons of cornstarch with remaining 1/4 cup of water and mix thoroughly. Slowly stir cornstarch mixture into sauce until it thickens. Pour sauce over breaded chicken, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment